Dosing & Uses
Dosing Form & Strengths
- Oasis: Water, glycerin, sorbitol, poloxamer 338, PEG-60, hydrogenated castor oil, copovidone, sodium benzoate, carboxymethylcellulose (473 mL); ethanol free, sugar free, mild mint flavor
- Aquoral: Oxidized glycerol triesters and silicon dioxide (40 mL); contains aspartame, delivers 400 sprays, citrus flavor
- Mouth Kote: Water, xylitol, sorbitol, citric acid, yerba santa, ascorbic acid, sodium benzoate, sodium saccharin
- Mol-Stir: Water, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, sorbitol, propylparaben, potassium chloride, dibasic sodium phosphate, magnesium chloride, sodium chloride, calcium chloride, methylparaben
- Caphosol: Dibasic sodium phosphate 0.032%, monobasic sodium phosphate 0.009%, calcium chloride 0.052%, sodium chloride 0.569%, purified water (30 mL); packaged in two 15 mL ampuls when mixed together provide one 30 mL dose
- Entertainer's secret: Aloe vera gel, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, glycerin (60 mL); ethanol free; honey-apple flavor
- SalivaSure: Xylitol, citric acid, apple acid, sodium citrate dihydrate, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, dibasic calcium phosphate, silica colloidal, magnesium stearate, stearic acid
- Numoisyn: Sorbitol 0.3 g/lozenge; polyethylene glycol, calcium phosphate dibasic, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, citric acid, malic acid, sodium citrate
- Numoisyn: Chondrus crispus, potassium sorbate, sorbitol, water, linseed extract, sodium benzoate, dipotassium phosphate, propylparaben, methylparaben
- Biotene Oral Balance: Water, sunflower oil, starch, propylene glycol, glycerine, purified milk extract, xylitol (sugar free)
Discs Extended Release
- XyliMelts: 500 mg xylitol: Dye free, gluten free, preservative free, soy free, yeast free
Powder For Reconstitution
- NeutraSal: Chloride, silicon dioxide, bicarbonate, sodium, phosphates, calcium
Caphosol, NeutraSal: Swish and spit; 2-10 doses/day
Oasis spray: 1-2 sprays PRN; not to exceed 60 sprays/day
Oasis mouthwash: Rinse mouth with ~30 mL q12hr PRN; do not swallow
Aquoral: 2 sprays PO q6-8hr PRN
Entertainer's secret: Spray PRN
Mouth Kote spray: Spray 3-5 times; swish for 8-10 seconds and spit or swallow PRN
Biotene: Apply 0.5 inch length onto tongue and spread evenly; repeat as often as needed
Numoisyn liquid: Use 2 mL PRN
Numoisyn lozenges: Dissolve 1 lozenge slowly; not to exceed 16 lozenges/day
SalivaSure: Dissolve 1 lozenge in mouth PRN; 1 lozenge/hr recommended
XyliMelts: Apply 2 discs before bed, 1 on each side of mouth, in lower or upper part of cheek; during the day, use as needed; swallow as it slowly dissolves (the tan, dimpled side will adhere to teeth or gums); before bedtime, use 2 discs, placing one on each side of the mouth
Frequency Not Defined
Fructose intolerance (Numoisyn lozenges)
Caphosol contains 75 mg of sodium per 30 mL dose
Pregnancy & Lactation
Pregnancy Category: A
A:Generally acceptable. Controlled studies in pregnant women show no evidence of fetal risk.
B:May be acceptable. Either animal studies show no risk but human studies not available or animal studies showed minor risks and human studies done and showed no risk.
C:Use with caution if benefits outweigh risks. Animal studies show risk and human studies not available or neither animal nor human studies done.
D:Use in LIFE-THREATENING emergencies when no safer drug available. Positive evidence of human fetal risk.
X:Do not use in pregnancy. Risks involved outweigh potential benefits. Safer alternatives exist.
NA:Information not available.
Mechanism of Action
Mixture consisting of protein or electrolyte that lubricate, moisten and provide coating on oral mucosa used in absence of saliva
Xylitol stimulates saliva production