Metastatic bone disease (MBD) is common in patients with advanced solid-organ cancers. In men with bone metastases, approximately 80% of the tumors are from primary prostate and lung cancers. Likewise, in women with bone metastases, approximately 80% of the tumors are from primary breast and lung cancers. The remaining 20% of bone metastases in both men and women are from primary cancers of the kidney, gut, thyroid, and sites of unknown origin.
Imaging studies are performed in patients with suspected MBD to confirm the diagnosis, establish the extent of disease, identify the primary cancer site, and assist in image-guided procedures such as bone biopsy.
Because early diagnosis and intervention help prevent and reduce the number of skeletal-related events (SRE) associated with MBD, imaging studies are crucial to the management of this patient population. A large number of patients with MBD suffer from SREs, resulting in significant pain, pathologic fracture, bone marrow suppression, and hypercalcemia. SREs are associated with opioid medication use for pain management, negative effect on mental well-being, and earlier death.
How much do you know about radiologic and other imaging studies used to evaluate cancer patients with known or suspected MBD? Check your knowledge with this short quiz.
Medscape © 2019 WebMD, LLC
Any views expressed above are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views of WebMD or Medscape.
Cite this: Maurie Markman. Fast Five Quiz: Imaging Studies in Metastatic Bone Disease - Medscape - Mar 27, 2019.